Friday afternoon hardware questions

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Sun Jan 20 19:33:08 EST 2008

Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008, at 22:32, Bruce Dawson wrote:

>> My own belief as to why drives overheat is that the bearings are dying
>> and the motors are overheating trying to keep the drive up to spec.
>>

> Interesting - to the touch, now that they're separate, I can't tell
> the difference among them, but this might be the excuse I need to buy
> a non-contact thermometer and see if there's variation.  Mysteries in
> IT always come back to haunt.

Well, that's a good counter-example to all my prior thoughts. Sounds
like you've solved the "proximity heat" problem just by separating them.

Hmm. Actually, I think you've just found another reason for having
household data centers: heat the home! :-)
> Only two of these are on e.SATA, so smartctl can't see the others (on
> USB).  Still waiting for that $50 8-port e.SATA card...

Yeah. That would be useful. Still, given cable length restrictions on
SATA, that's a lotta heat in a small space.

--Bruce