Anybody familiar with VMWare tuning?

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Tue Jan 22 09:05:57 EST 2008

I'm not familiar with VMWare tuning at all, so perhaps I just shouldn't
respond.  But, you didn't mention memory.  I do run a Windows guest under
Xen, as well as a number of Linux hosts.  I find that they all run really
well on even cheap hardware and that the processor isn't nearly as important
as the memory.

And while a Linux virtual host can certainly do fine with 64M or 128M of
memory, I have to give the Windows host at least half a gig to be useful. The
Windows machines I run virtualized though are also just used for occasional
desktop support/web browser testing/problem reproducing usage.  They are not
servers running anything of consequence.

I guess what I'm saying is... have you tried throwing more memory at the
problem?
-N