VMWare alternative.

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Jan 23 08:57:32 EST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 5:19 PM, Scott Garman <sgarman at zenlinux.com> wrote:

> With all this discussion of VMWare, I thought I'd mention that there is
> a fully open source alternative to it that I just discovered. It's
> called VirtualBox:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/
>
> I've been using it alongside with VMWare Workstation 5.5 and don't
> notice any performance differences, which really surprised me. It's been
> rock solid running WinXP on top of Ubuntu. It also offers "seamless

Virtualbox is the one no one talks about :-/
The recent Linux Journal highlighted virtualization.

There's also QEMU (which can emulate non intel chips too).
There's a kernel module, kqemu, which speeds QEMU up.
QEMU is cross platform (Windows, MacOS, Solaris, Linux, etc).

KVM which needs the hardware support in AMD or Intel chips.  It's in recent
kernels.  It uses part of QEMU.

XEN which is being adopted by everyone (Linux, SUN, Microsoft).  Solaris'
upcoming xVM is XEN.  If you have the newer AMD/Intel chips, you can run
Windows and other non-XEN aware OSen.