Can a browser based application write to files on a local hard disk?

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Mon Jan 28 12:00:07 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 10:57 -0500, Alex Hewitt wrote:
> Scenario: Need a web application which collects user data that needs to
> be stored on the user's local hard disk. Which tools can do this?
cookies
macromedia-flash local storage (no experience using it)
explicit download/upload

You probably want to sign the data so that you can detect tampering.

If you come up with a good solution, Please let us know.

> I know that web site based applications are usually prevented from
> writing to the user's local hard disk but I would prefer that any user
> data be kept local to the user rather than stored on my web site. The
> reasons are obvious - I don't want to be responsible for the user's data
> and I'd like to be able to say "We don't have access to your private
> information because we don't store it on our web site".

Personally I'd like explicit files.  People would know when data was
transferred and the browser could facilitate the processing.  I'm not
sure if that would actually work for most people.

A few years back I discovered that Firefox supported MIME multi-part
downloads.  I abandoned mulitparts when IE did not work.