Koolu as MythTV frontend suggestions

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Thu Jan 31 18:17:18 EST 2008

Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2008, at 08:12, Ted Roche wrote:
>
>> top is showing mythfrontend.re at ~95% CPU pretty consistently
>
> That sounds like CPU-based decoding.  The koolu is an AMD Geode, which
> has a hardware MPEG-2 decoder, IIRC.

Agreed. I need to do a lot of tuning here. This is one of those
situations where I installed MythTV with various cards, distros and
options a dozen times or so until I started to get video and then I
stopped. Then, after a week or two of going down cellar to confirm I was
getting files, I salvaged a half-working ThinkPad to play the role of
frontend ("No, but it plays one on TV, arr arr."). Now, I'll need to go
back and dissect what I've got and maybe turn off some of the more
insane choices I made in the attempt to get it to work. A clean and
documented install even, now that the proof-of-concept has been running
for 15 months.

I'm suspecting some poor choices in transcoding, too.

> And then you should see, I'm guessing, 20% CPU or so. If I were Koolu
> I'd have this all pre-configured ... if it's well known that you can
> apt-get install mythtv to get a working SD frontend, it ought to double
> their sales!  Maybe *they'd* want to figure this out for you.

You would think. I suspect Koolu is a shoestrings start-up. They have a
forums.koolu.org community site set up, but spammers munged it pretty
badly, and right now there are four read-only posts up there. One of
them is a sample xorg.conf and notes on installing MythTV. But both
could use some refining.

  > Me, I'm off to send a bugreport to the kernel list about my new MythTV
> box which can't seem to use any xATA DVD drives. :(

Ouch.