Netgear now touting open source WRT-compatible wireless router

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Jul 3 20:50:07 EDT 2008

On Jul 3, 2008, at 13:30, Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:

> Otherwise what would keep a person from not having a maintenance
> contract, allowing the system to break, and then getting a contract
> when
> it does break?  At least CISCO gave you a path for putting it back on
> maintenance or buying used equipment and getting a maintenance
> contract
> for it.

Yeah, that's reasonable if you want hardware support on it.  The
thing is here, they won't even sell you an OS, at your risk, without
a hardware contract.  I once was helping out a shop that needed a new
Cisco fiber module, which wasn't supported by their Cisco IOS on
their Cisco switch, and - long story short - it was cheaper to buy a
'new' refurbed switch than to upgrade the IOS.  These most egregious
situations do help you appreciate Free Software even more!

> They could have just said:  "Buy a new unit and keep it on
> maintenance."

I think big Cisco shops expect this as just part of the package.
Presumably they feel Cisco's offerings are worth the ongoing costs,
so they put everything on maintenance.  On the other hand, SMB's
often wind up getting into Cisco for what they find to be nearly
affordable pricing and don't know the catch.  And then I help them
move over to HP. :)

-Bill

-----
bill at bfccomputing.com		Cell: 603.252.2606