General Procedure to get ATI/DRI card running?

Labitt, Bruce labittb1 at tycoelectronics.com
Tue Jul 8 10:52:45 EDT 2008

Subject: Re: General Procedure to get ATI/DRI card running?

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Labitt, Bruce
<labittb1 at tycoelectronics.com> wrote:
> #system-config-display --noui --set-driver=radeon_tp
>
> If this for some reason hoses things, how does one recover back to the
> baseline Intel mobo graphics?

  Before you run the above command, make a backup of your existing
config file:

cd /etc/X11
cp xorg.conf intel.xorg.conf

  Then, if you need to revert, copy the backup over the newly damaged
file:

cd /etc/X11
cp intel.xorg.conf xorg.conf

-- Ben

[Labitt, Bruce] Thanks Ben.  I'm now running on the radeon x1650 with
dvi on my monitor.

Perhaps this question is more to Arc.

I still am having some trouble getting going.  I'm not quite sure what
to try next.  I tried downloading driconf-0.9.1 to "configure" my 3d
stuff.  When I run it I get

unknown chip id 0x71c1, can't guess.
libGL warning: 3D driver returned no fbconfigs.
libGL error: InitDriver failed
libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering

Sounds like I still need to configure stuff...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I also tried playing with gluplot which supposedly uses opengl for
rendering.  I have no idea what format for the data files are required.
Anyone play with that?

-Bruce