Adding a new drive / fstab

mike ledoux mwl+gnhlug at alumni.unh.edu
Thu Jul 10 11:22:43 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 11:50:46AM -0400, Labitt, Bruce wrote:
> In the endless pursuit of upgrading this machine I have added a hard
> drive to my computer.  I have used fdisk to create a linux partition to
> the whole disk.  I made the disk use the ext3 file system.
>
> So now for fstab.  What is the philosophy for creating an entry?  At
> this point I'm not sure what the mount point should be.  /home sounds

I generally mount additional "disks" for data storage as /data/n/.
Simple, clean, easy to understand & maintain.  These days, for production servers, my typical partitioning is:

 /boot
 /
 /tmp
 /var
 /opt (if I'm going to install much 3rd party software that will use it)
 /data

/home and /usr/local are symlinks into /data, as is /opt if I
haven't given it a separate partition.  If additional data "disks"
are needed, I either use LVM to add space to /data, or mount the
additional volumes as /data/1/, /data/2/, etc.

Ocassionally (usually for Oracle servers) I will create other
application-specific filesystems, but it is getting more and more
rare as app developers gain clue.

--
mwl+gnhlug at alumni.unh.edu          OpenPGP KeyID 0x57C3430B
Holder of Past Knowledge           CS, O-