Example of Linux initramfs

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 14:08:52 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Michael Nolin <michaelnolin at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Fri, 7/11/08, Thomas Charron <twaffle at gmail.com> wrote:
>>   I was talking specifically about an initramfs, which
>> specifically
>> uses cpio.  initramfs.c checks for a magic flag in the
> I would recommend "Understanding the Linux Kernel" and "Linux Kernel Development Second Edition"
> kernel/init
>        do_mounts.h         do_mounts_md.c    Kconfig  Makefile   version.o
> do_mounts.c        do_mounts_initrd.c       initramfs.c     main.c
> do_mounts_devfs.c    do_mounts_rd.c          version.c
> These files and kernel initialization is explained in these references. Very little if any ARM specific dependencies here.

  The point is............

  His issue has nothing to do with ARM really.  His issue is, he's got
the kernel booting to the point of loading the initramfs, at which
point it dies horribly.  My point was that the CPIO archive which
contains the root filesystem that is loaded from initramfs.c requires
a magic header which marks the filesystem contained as being a valid
root initramfs.

--
-- Thomas