upgrade attempt

James R. Van Zandt jrvz at comcast.net
Tue Jul 15 08:47:19 EDT 2008

"Ben Scott" <dragonhawk at gmail.com> writes:
>   >   kernel /vmlinuz-1.6.20-1.2944.fc6 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet irqpoll
>
>     You've got a typo in the above.  "1.6.20" should be "2.6.20".  If
>   that's your actual kernel command (and not merely a transcription
>   error), that's your problem.

You're right!  Thanks!

I don't know how that happened - I had no reason to edit that part of
the command line.  Though my vi skills are rusty, and I suppose I
slipped up.  I'll have to get emacs installed on that machine.

I am amazed that I actually reported the kernel command line
(transcribing my hand-written notes) accurately in my message.

Thanks again!

Of course, I still want the system to recognize a second SATA disk.

>   > "smartctl --all /dev/sda" reported:
>   >
>   > I was disappointed about this brand new drive not supporting SMART and
>   > decided to return it.
>
>     You might need to tell smartctl the device is an ATA type:
>
>   smartctl --device=ata --all /dev/sda

I'll try that next.

            - Jim Van Zandt