CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G in RHEL5?

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Wed Jul 16 13:11:08 EDT 2008

>excerpt from arch/i386/Kconfig:
>--
>choice
>        depends on EXPERIMENTAL && !X86_PAE
>        prompt "Memory split" if EMBEDDED
>        default VMSPLIT_3G
>--
>
>Note the !X86_PAE part. At least above, you mentioned looking in a PAE
>kernel config. :)

The default kernel appears to have PAE configured so that's the
kernel whose config I was asked to look at.

I haven't thought this through but I can't think of anything
inherent in the use of PAE (at least in principle, at the
CPU/MMU level) that would make it impossible for Kernel/User to
continue sharing page tables - would you know why the VMSPLIT
option is only present when !X86_PAE ?