How do you determine the amount of system memory?

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Wed Jul 16 23:11:19 EDT 2008

"Ben Scott" <dragonhawk at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Recent Linux kernels have had a minor bug in that the amount of memory
>> reported in /proc/meminfo is incorrect.
>
>   Got details?

Not currently, and given I'm going on vacation in a couple hours, I
won't have details for another week or so :)

>   Depending on how the bug manifests, it might be enough to compare
> with the output of free(1).  If they disagree significantly, bug
> exists.  If the bug effects more than /proc/meminfo, that won't work,
> of course.

I believe free reads /proc/meminfo.  And I believe the bug does affect
more than just /proc/meminfo.  It's rumored that the bug also leaks
memory such that watching /proc/meminfo over time will display a
decrease in the amount of memory available.  But that's not confirmed.

--
Seeya,
Paul