How do you determine the amount of system memory?

Kenny Lussier klussier at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 07:36:59 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:16 PM, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net>
wrote:

> "Kenny Lussier" <klussier at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > What kind of systems are these? Most systems today have some sort of
> > IPMI-based interface that is independent of the OS and can give you a
> > physical hardware inventory (and usually a whole lot more).
>
> Yes, there's an IPMI interface, but no IPMI module...  So, no IPMI :(
>
> These are basically white (black?) box units from some vendor (name
> escapes me) but they're a fairly well known company which makes a
> variety of "custome" chassis for whomever wants to buy them and
> re-brand.  The IPMI module is an option available to us, but one which
> until now, we've had no need for at the current cost.

Ah....  We swear by the add-on cards (of course, half our servers are on the
other side of the country). If for no other reason, the ability to
power-cycle a box from my desk it's worth it :-) We also use them to do
system/asset inventory management.

> Of course, this might change :)

Where you have 400+ servers, it's well worth the investment. If the module
has the ability to uniquely identify the system (asset tag, serial number,
whatever) and spit out a hardware inventory, then you can easily convince
finance-types that it is part of the asset/inventory control system to
protect their investment :-)

C-Ya,
Kenny