sudo problems. anyone feeling up to it?

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon Jul 21 14:25:33 EDT 2008

On Monday, Jul 21st 2008 at 14:18 -0000, quoth Mark Greene:

=>On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Steven W. Orr <steveo at syslang.net>
=>wrote:
=>      We have a bunch of old debian sarge distros running and we're
=>      slowly
=>      upgrading to Ubuntu Feisty Fawn.
=>
=>      For reasons that are not important here, we need to run our
=>      python app as
=>      root. So we added
=>
=>      ALL     ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/python
=>
=>      to the sudoers file. (Yeah yeah don't start.)
=>
=>      The problem is that under the FF release, sudo is acting
=>      broken, i.e., not
=>      like the man page sez it's supposed to. Under FF, I lose my
=>      HOME envvar.
=>      I'm not supposed to lose it.
=>
=>
=>When you log in as root normally, from where is $HOME getting set? From
=>.bash_profile or .bash_login or  .profile or from /etc/profile, or from
=>somewhere else?
=>
=>mark

No, HOME is supposed to be passed through by sudo. I just read some docs
and discovered that there is a bug is 1.6.8 of sudo and it is fixed in
1.6.9. I just have to find a .deb file and install it. :-(

steveo at syslang.net