was: YAQ on /usr/bin/ld now: octave link failure

Labitt, Bruce labittb1 at tycoelectronics.com
Thu Jul 24 12:40:26 EDT 2008

For any that care, (and I suspect there are few,) I have found one of
the issues in the octave make failure.  It would appear that I was
missing the package pcre-devel.  The failure message was that of not
being able to find pcre.

Now the build proceeds to the end and claims to be successful.  However
a "make check" fails with the message

../octave: error while loading shared libraries: libfftw3.so.3: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Typing in the statement
$ ldd /usr/local/bin/octave
gives three instances of
	libfftw3.so.3 => not found, along with lots of other successful
links.

I think there is an easy fix to this?  Can someone give me a hand?
libfftw3.so.3 is in /usr/local/lib  its link target is
/usr/local/lib/fftw3.so.3.2.1

TIA,
-Bruce