bash weirdness

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 13:11:21 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Shawn O'Shea <shawn at eth0.net> wrote:
> [root at vecna ~]# rpm -V bash

  And "rpm -Va" will verify all packages on the system.

  I had this help me just the other day.  Somehow, some files existed
in the system that didn't match the RPM database.  Only, either an RPM
transaction somehow completed without updating all files but still
updating the database, or maybe a backup was partially restored.
(Pretty sure it was benign and not security compromise trojan horse
replacement; the binaries matched different versions of the package
files, and when disassembled, they had nothing nefarious in them.)
"rpm -Va" let me find all the mismatches, and then "rpm --upgrade
--replacepkgs" to reinstall them.

-- Ben