bash weirdness

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Thu Jul 24 15:05:51 EDT 2008

I found that the server had the wrong "base" defined in /etcldap.conf
and /etc/openldap/ldap.conf; when i yet the server up a little over
a year ago, I mistakenly included the prefix "ou=People,".

After I fixed that, "getent group" worked correctly, but the backtick
and pipe behaviors are still broken.

The server is 64-bit, and I just noticed that both the i386 and the
x86_64 packages of openldap, nss_ldap, etc. are installed. Would
that make a difference?

I'll try the "rpm -Va" next, and see if that sheds any light.

On Thu, July 24, 2008 2:33 pm, Ben Scott said:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 2:02 PM, John Abreau <jabr at blu.org> wrote:
>> I tried the various suggestions to no effect.
>> "rpm -V bash" returns nothing.
>
>   You may want to give "rpm -Va" to verify all packages.  It usually
> takes a while, but it may be that some system library is screwed up.
>
>> I enabled another LDAP user to be able to login to the server, and that
>> user also exhibits the problem. Local users, including root, do not
>> exhibit the problem.
>
>   Sounds like maybe one of the NSS (name service switch) or PAM
> (pluggable authentication module) libraries which provides user
> information is screwed up or misconfigured.
>
>> But why that would result in bash misbehavior is something that
>> makes no sense to me.
>
>   If getpwent() or other, similar library calls start failing, or
> returning weird results, things can get very weird.  Think nasal
> demons.  I haven't seen your described behavior, per se, but I've seen
> other random stuff start acting weird when winbind was misconfigured,
> or when the hostname was null.
>
> -- Ben
>
> --
> believed to be clean.