VHS capture to MPEG?

Shawn O'Shea shawn at eth0.net
Fri Jul 25 12:02:27 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> wrote:

> I've got a number of VHS tapes I'd like to convert to MPEG2.
>
> I have a Pinnacle USB2 PRO (150e model).  It has svideo, component and
> antenna inputs.  It's got a remote and IR input.  From what I've been
> reading, there is support in Linux for this thing.
>
> I have a VHS to hook up to it also.
>
> It came with some capture software that consumes all resources on a Celeron
> 1GHz with 2 GB RAM.
>
> I have a Pentium 4m (2GHz?) running Ubuntu Heron (8.10?).  It can see the
> 150e.
>
> I don't want to do a MythTV setup just to capture 2-3 tapes.
>
> Any recommendations on software capturing? I know members have opinions :-)
>
> I haven't done much in the way of video capture in awhile (and sadly I used
to do it mostly in Windows). Your device seems to be a support Video4Linux
capture device, and there are a number of both command line and GUI apps for
recording (the Video4Linux wiki lists a number of them:
http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/TV_Recording ). If you had some
editing you wanted to do as well, you could use Cinelerra to do the capture
and then editing as well ( http://cinelerra.org/docs.php ).

A lot of this stuff is available in Ubuntu, either do a "apt-cache search
<thing I'm searching for>" or you can search the Ubuntu package repositories
on the web as well: http://packages.ubuntu.com/

-Shawn