How do you determine the amount of system memory?

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 10:03:17 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 8:10 AM, Dave Johnson
<dave-gnhlug-list at davej.org> wrote:
> Paul Lussier writes:
>> "Thomas Charron" <twaffle at gmail.com> writes:
>> >   A bug in that /proc/meminfo doesn't report the amount of physical
>> > memory uder MemTotal?
>> Yes, and that possibly, over time, the amount of memory in
>> /proc/meminfo actually decreases.
> I'm assuming you mean Total memory not free memory :)  If so, which
> total? Mem, High, Low, Swap, Vmalloc?
> Are you're saying the *Total lines change while the system is running
> or simply that MemTotal line isn't what you expect at boot time?

  MemTotal can change.  MemTotal doesn't show memory utilized by the
kernel binaries themselves in memory, however there are situations
where modules can leak memory which also removes from MemTotal.  I
don't recall the specifics of this happening, but I do know what Paul
is talking about now.

--
-- Thomas