laptop fails to "hear" replies

Lloyd Kvam lkvam at venix.com
Wed Jul 30 14:59:53 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 14:37 -0400, Kevin D. Clark wrote:
> Lloyd Kvam writes:
>
> > That timing is right on.  However, it needs to be a problem triggered by
> > the laptop.  I hit this problem on the road.  How would the laptop force
> > the port to be disabled?
>
> Were you running any programs on your laptop that could have emitted
> some strange network traffic?

I don't think so.  This was occurring at boot, trying to reach the DHCP
server.

> Some manufacturers offer features on their switches that will shunt a
> port if it detects any strange network traffic.  For example, it is
> possible to configure ports on such switches to shutdown if they see
> incoming STP or DHCP-reply traffic on "end-user" ports.

The other factor is that tcpdump at the DHCP server showed the incoming
requests and the outgoing replies.  tcpdump on the laptop only showed
the outgoing requests.

I appreciate the interest.  The laptop is now running Ubuntu (and
booting OK), so I can not troubleshoot that problem anymore.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp.

voice:  603-653-8139