access bash from C program?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Jun 2 12:30:44 EDT 2008

On Jun 2, 2008, at 12:11, Labitt, Bruce wrote:

> 	a=getrlimit;  //save current setting
> 	ulimit	  // do what I want
> 	setrlimit=a	  // restore setting

I think only sub-processes are going to be affected by your ulimit
call, so I'm not sure the [get,set]rlimit are even necessary - once
you exit your user won't be further affected.  But if you think your
sub-processes might abuse the new ulimit, defensive programming may
be called for.

If you have to call out with system() because that's your only
interface into something, some processes will arrange to re-call
themselves after tweaking something, and test for that. e.g.:

   check for resource
   resource OK?
     no:
       code = system(set resource; call self)
       exit(code)
     yes:
       do important thing here

Ideally, all those types of checks can be done at program start, for
the sake of state sanity.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/