Offline Search?

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Thu Jun 5 00:16:38 EDT 2008

Does anyone know of a decent offline, cross-platform search engine?

What I'm looking for is something like Google Desktop
http://desktop.google.com

...but for offline use.

What I want to be able to do is dump a whole bunch of files into a
directory (or sub-directories) and have an application that can search
them for keywords, strings, etc. This means it would need to understand
PDFs, DOCs, OpenOffice formatted docs, text, html, etc.  The idea is to
put it all on an external drive and be able to plug it in to any modern
system (Linux, Windblows, Mac) and find what I'm looking for.

So either Java or a ported application would work great. (I can't
believe I'm actually advocating Java...) Even Perl would work, as it's
available cross-platform.  Ideally it would be a stand-alone application
not requiring any installation of libs, DLLs, etc.

Anyone know of such a beast?

Thanks,

Brian