Offline Search?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Fri Jun 6 08:38:58 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 2:43 AM, Brian Chabot <brian at datasquire.net> wrote:

> >>  Well, if we assume the computer is offline (which we've been asked
> >> to do)... and the software isn't on the drive... what good is having
> >> the search engine data going to do?  :)
> >
> >   Umm, I don't see that requirement anywhere in the thread.  Did I
> > miss something?
>
> I probably should have been more clear:
>
> The intended use is to have a portable library of information with a
> searchable index.  Such library needs to have a search client that is at
> least Win/Lin/Mac compatible.  The indexing software should at least run
> in Linux (for my convenience...).
>
> Think of it as an unsorted compilation of tech manuals, marketing texts,
> reviews, etc. which can be brought to where it is needed (or replicated
> and sent) and used by non-technical users to retrieve data as needed.
> The end users would be remotely located often with no Internet access at
> all.
>

> There is a possibility of putting the library (and application and
> index) on read-only media such as one or more DVD's once the data is
> relatively un-changing.

The O'Reilly CD Bookshelf series do this.  You get a nice web interface to
all the CDs.  There's a little Java app that will search the books.

"The search engine used on this CD-ROM is the QuestAgent Pro version
4.0.9.from JObjects (
http://www.jobjects.com/). It uses a Java applet interface to query a
pre-generated index of terms derived from the full text of all book pages on
the CD-ROM. "

Of course, it's not OSS.....