Decent Graphics card / 64 bit system / imaging

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 21:15:49 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Mark Komarinski <mkomarinski at wayga.org> wrote:
>> you're SOL if you don't define "Linux" as
>> "certain 2.6.x kernels on i386 32-bit".
>>
> Really?  My x86_64 Fedora 8 desktop (with twinview) would like a word
> with you.

  So I guess they've gotten around to making some, but for a long
time, NVidia provided no 64-bit version of their drivers.  The point
is, as soon as NVidia decides your configuration isn't profitable
anymore, you're SOL.  If you're running an Alpha or a SPARC or an SGI
or a Mac, you're SOL.  If you're running an older kernel for some
reason, you're SOL.  If you want to run an untainted kernel, you're
SOL.  If next year NVidia decides Linux isn't profitable -- or that
there are legal problems, or whatever -- you're SOL.  Binary drivers
really, really, really suck.  Sometimes they're all you can get, but
never forget you're living on borrowed time.  That's all I'm saying.

  If you throw your computer out and buy a new one every two years,
maybe this doesn't matter so much, but for people like me who like to
hold on to stuff until the PCBs delaminate, it's a big deal.

-- Ben