Decent Graphics card / 64 bit system / imaging

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 21:40:53 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Arc Riley <arcriley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to understand why a majority of people on this list find it
> acceptable to /recommend/ hardware only supported by proprietary drivers

  NVidia's track record for Linux support is better.  Hmmm, no.
NVidia's track record for Linux support sucks less.  They only do
closed, binary-only drivers, but they've consistently supported Linux
on i386 for much longer.  ATI has a history of claiming support and
then killing it off.  Perhaps they'll stick with it this time, but
only time will tell.  Meanwhile, I know that if I had gone with an
NVida card a while back, I would have had an easier and less expensive
time.  NVida would have screwed me less than ATI.

  That's hardly what I'd call a "recommendation" for NVidia, but I'm
certainly no fan of ATI, either.

-- Ben