need Openvpn routing help

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 17:50:55 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Charlie Farinella
<cfarinella at appropriatesolutions.com> wrote:
> You're the second person to phrase it that way, "does the machine know
> that it's supposed to route traffic".  Showing my ignorance I will ask
> how do I make sure it "knows" to do this.  I thought running the route
> command did that, but apparently there's more.

  Well, the "route" command *is* how you tell a computer about routes,
for the most part.  There's just some question about what the various
computers involved "know" about your networks.

  It does sound like this question isn't really OpenVPN-specific --
it's just an IP routing question, not an OpenVPN IP routing question.
Things would work the same if the 10.10.0.0/24 network was a
physically wired network instead of a virtual private network.  (Well,
maybe.  There may be some OpenVPN-specific issue that hasn't been
identified yet.  But it doesn't sound like it to me at this point.)
Either way, it's okay -- we can help with IP routing questions, too.
:)

Suggested course of action:

  Use the "route" command to review the routing tables on the two
computers.  Just issue the command "route" with no arguments, and it
should print the routing table.  Or maybe "route -n" to prevent the
system from wasting time trying to look up names for things.  If
you're not sure how to interpret the output, post the output (for each
computer, identifying which is which), and we can check your work.

-- Ben