[GNHLUG] NHRuby meeting TOMORROW, Jun 17: Google App Engine and more!

Scott Garman sgarman at zenlinux.com
Mon Jun 16 13:16:58 EDT 2008

The NH Ruby and Rails User Group will hold its June 2008 meeting at the
usual spot, RMC Research in Portsmouth. This month we have the honor of
having Brian DeLacey return to give another interesting talk.

What's a Rubyist to do when great environments come along but don't
(yet) support Ruby? Google App Engine, for instance, only supports
Python. Well, of course - Learn Python! It's easy.

This meeting will give a quickstart intro to Python for the Rubyist.
We'll then take a look at "Hello World" running on Google's App Engine.
You may leave wondering whether Django is Python's jazz improvisation of
Rails.

To keep things environmentally friendly, we'll do the demos on a newly
built, energy efficient PC running Ubuntu and using a just a few watts
of power with Intel's new Atom processor. We'll also spend a little time
talking about how simple, fun, and inexpensive it was to build this
powerful little Atomizer. You may find "atomic power" is a great way to
experiment with Ruby and learn Python.

Finally, there will be free book giveaways, courtesy of O'Reilly's user
group program. The books will be on the topics of Python and web
development.

WHEN: Tuesday, June 17, 2008. 7-9 PM.
WHERE: RMC Research Offices, 1000 Market Street, Portsmouth, NH.

For a map and driving directions, see our wiki site:

http://wiki.nhruby.org/index.php/Upcoming_meetings

Regards,

Scott

--