HP releases AdvFS under GPL-2

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Jun 23 13:48:39 EDT 2008

On Jun 23, 2008, at 12:21, Bayard Coolidge wrote:

>  But, does AdvFS have any features now
> that it didn't 6 years ago that are superior to, say, Ext3 or Ext4,
> or any other
> filesystems available under Linux (e.g. ReiserFS, xfs, etc.)? I'd
> like to see that
> question answered - has someone created a feature comparion chart?

It had some pretty neat snapshotting capabilities we used to use for
backups; Linux didn't have this functionality until much later with
LVM.  Perhaps there are still some superior aspects of AdvFS over LVM?

If so, it might be handy since ZFS isn't coming to Linux any time
soon, AFAICT, and some apps react poorly to NFS.  Would it be too
cynical to suspect that HP simply doesn't want to maintain it anymore
but has customers who like it?

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/