High-Level Audio Editing Language?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Jun 26 17:27:10 EDT 2008

On Jun 26, 2008, at 15:35, Arc Riley wrote:

> You could write something like that as a Python module, why a special
> language?

Domain specific first class data-types would be the best reason.
Think series computation in Haskell.

But I could probably get the work done with a general-purpose
language extension.  The projects that I found which were on this
track [ugh] were typically implemented in a fast C core and offered
bindings for the popular scripting languages.

Most of those were focused on DSP tasks, though.  This is valuable
and would be the necessary basis for what I'm looking for.  If
anybody just wants to do DSP work, AMaMP, ChucK, and sndObj look like
neat projects.

A nice example of high-level language audio analysis is
Audio::Analyzer (find it on CPAN).  Example:
   http://youtube.com/watch?v=dNGi-SZ9kGw

but it doesn't clamp into the core of the language so you're limited
to its procedural interface.  If this were a real job I might try
building what I need on top of it.  If I were an academic I'd
probably extend an existing language.  I was sort of hoping somebody
already had. :)

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/