AD Authentication?

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Tue Mar 4 09:01:18 EST 2008

On 03/04/2008 08:38 AM, Kenny Lussier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know of any recent, good docs on using a Windows Active
> Directory server to authenticate Linux desktops? I am currently
> working in a place that has a Windows infrastructure (AD, Exchange,
> etc.), but we need to be able to use the existing central
> authentication for a new fleet of Linux desktops. Most of the docs
> that I found were circa 2002, and they all required patching the AD
> server, and installing software on the Windows side to allow different
> schemas.

We were looking for a while, but had to give up and wound up purchasing
a commercial application called Centrify (www.centrify.com).   Doesn't
require schema changes, and there's an AD->NIS server that we use for
our cluster nodes and a few other systems.

It's not inexpensive, but we're using the server version which offers
unlimited user accounts.  Desktop logins which allow only 2-3 users? is
a bit more reasonably priced.

Let me know if you want more information and we can discuss offline or
on the list if anyone else is interested.

-Mark