cron question / process queue

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Mar 4 12:53:16 EST 2008

Hi,

I have a server that runs regular daily, weekly and monthly updates, all
scheduled with cron.

The updates are lengthy - the weekly update now takes about 8 hours -
and I would like for them not to overlap. I also want them to run at
night, for some reasonable value of night, so I can't just schedule them
far apart.

I can use the historical run times to schedule the jobs to prevent them
overlapping, but I was wondering if there is a more robust and flexible
way to do this; some way to say
   daily - queue the daily update
   weekly - queue the weekly update
   monthly - queue the monthly update
and have the updates run sequentially.

I guess it would not be hard to write a Python program to do determine
which updates to run and start the correct processes, but I'm wondering
if there is some system facility that would help.

Thanks,
Kent