Laptop Saved! (was RAM Mapping Script)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Fri Mar 7 00:23:01 EST 2008

On Mar 6, 2008, at 18:11, Ben Scott wrote:

> A bench grinder also ate through the platter fairly easily
> (not quite like a knife through butter, but close), but there was
> always a piece left over where we had to grip the platter with pliers.

Since you're open to power tools, a belt sander might be more useful
- the platter would stay intact but the surface would be completely
abraded.  A random orbit sander with 30 or 60 grit velcro discs could
be the basis for an automated platter eater, if you're feeling creative.

All this is predicated on the probability that your attacker would
employ force probe microscopy after tracking your drives through your
recycler, instead of bribing one of your employees with a million
dollars, of course.

>   For regular business data of normal sensitivity, I use DBAN if the
> drive works, or repeated applications of a drill press if it doesn't.

.40 S&W works well too.  180 grain FMJ has excellent results on hard
drives.  Safer than a drill press, too (looks at scar...).   Cleanup
is slightly more labor intensive, though.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/