Setting up separate network question

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 12:09:52 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Labitt, Bruce
<labittb1 at tycoelectronics.com> wrote:
>  I just want to ask the list if I've got this right.

  What you describe sounds like it will work, for most definitions of "work".

>  Is this benign to the outside network?

  It depends on what you mean by "benign".  I presume this is in a
corporate IT scenario.  Done properly, and without intent to abuse, it
is unlikely to cause any technical problems.  It may violate corporate
security or administration practices, though.  (And that's not just
bureaucracy -- if I'm a corporate IT guy being held responsible for
security, I will want to be able to make sure things are secure.)

> Do some networks block this?

  It is generally easier to hide masquerading than it is to detect it,
so most network operators don't try to block it using technical means
(because they would get into an arms race they would probably lose).

  That said, if it violates corporate policy, it may get you in
trouble, fired, or even in legal trouble.  Definitely ask first.  :)

-- Ben