Loss of ptys

jsmith at alum.mit.edu jsmith at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 18 04:36:10 EDT 2008

I'm running an Ubuntu Hardy (alpha 6) system, and something has
happened - I apparently can't open ptys anymore.  Note that it was
working until yesterday.

When I attempt to open a new terminal from within X (regardless of
window manager) I get a message about being unable to open a pty.
I've checked that devpts is mounted on /dev/pts, gid=5, mode=620. gid
5 is group tty, no members

If I reboot into Gutsy, everything works.  devpts is mounted on
/dev/pts, gid=5, mode=620.  gid 5 is group tty, no members.

Any thoughts?

Once I solve this, I'll ask about xdmx.

jeff