Setting up separate network question

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Mar 19 11:12:08 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Labitt, Bruce <
labittb1 at tycoelectronics.com> wrote:

> Good analysis.  I'll go check this out.  One of the reasons originally
> given to me was "they" did not want the possibility of ever having a
> DHCP server [mine] getting attached to the corporate network.  I don't
> blame them, but I would think there are alternate ways to ensure this.

Basically it comes down to understanding.

My lab has a Class C chunk of IP addresses in a vlan.  DHCP doesn't cross
this vlan.  I run my own DHCP server inside the vlan with static IPs (this
MAC gets this IP) and no freely available IPs.

The users can ssh/RDP/telnet into systems inside the vlan.  I think this
part would've been more difficult with NAT.

They have a reponsive IT guy.  I had it setup do they could allocate their
own IPs & make DHCP entries, but they've never done it because they can
always get me or someone else in IT.