Writing FOSS for Win32: A good LUG meeting topic?

Greg Rundlett greg.rundlett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 00:09:38 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Tech Writer <TechWtr at handspun.com> wrote:

> I got my daughter a Dell (Windows XP) laptop for Christmas, and we have
> tried to
> add only free software.  Right away, we set up Firefox as the default
> browser,
> and added OpenOffice for her school work.
>  * Last week, she needed to remove red eye from one of her photos.  We
> installed
> GIMP, but couldn't figure out how to use the redeye reduction feature
> (kept
> changing the color of the whole face.)  I finally moved the photo to
> another
> machine and used PaintShop Pro.

For red-eye reduction using the GIMP (especially on Windows where you don't
have other free alternatives), see the Linux Journal story linked from my
blog entry:
http://rundlett.com/cms/blog-entry/removing-red-eye-photos

For Linux users, I recently discovered digiKam for complete photo management
(especially the stuff that most people do).  It works quite well (in terms
of quality) and is absolutely easy to use.
http://www.digikam.org/?q=about/features09x

 -- Greg