Linux and Smart phones?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Mar 24 10:30:18 EDT 2008

FWIW dept -

I've been using a Palm since 199x with a Pilot 1000 + upgrade ROM.
I currently have an m130 and m505.

It's for recording appointments at ... until I can sync it.  I also have a
encrypted password app.  Addresses, todo, eBooks and some games round it
out.

My work issued a Blackberry 8120 (8820?) which has a GPS in it.  It's my
phone, address book and does web browsing and email.

Both sync with Outlook at work.  I've found the Blackberry's calendar to be
pretty lousy for viewing & worse for entering, but that might be just me.  I
like it for email, phone and gmail.

I also copy my calendar/address to google/yahoo for my wife to see.  Yes,
it's all on windows, but a vmware instance works well.

I have a recent standalone GPS that is way better in every way then my BB's
GPS.

My wife has an iPhone.  The UI is orders of magnitude better then the
Blackberry.  The Browser is better then Opera or the native BB one.  The BB
has some Java apps that I like better then the iPhone (gmail) but the
iPhone's maps.goggle.com is better.  The BB is a bit better on email, but
the iPhone feels faster for browsing.

If sync with Linux is your goal, Palm is very good.  If you want email, BB
is very good.  If you care about web browsing, the iPhone is great.