comcast does it again Port 25

Jeff Kinz jkkinz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 19:22:54 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 6:32 PM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> Jeff Kinz wrote:
>  > So I am looking for reccomendation for SMTP mail relay services.
>
>  There are some guys in Manchester who do this, and donate services to
>  GNHLUG.  :)
>
>    http://www.dyndns.com/services/mailhop/relay.html
>    http://www.dyndns.com/services/mailhop/outbound.html
>
>  See if any of the ports listed on the relay page are reachable to you.
>  I don't know if they have any options of you're completely walled off.
>  UUCP?!  (Just to prove myself wrong I googled 'UUCP SSL' and sure enough
>  it exists).  So even on the HTTP(s)-only IntarWeb you might still have
>  options.
>  > Of course, cheap, reliable and with great customer service
>  > are always desireable (pick any one.. :-)  )
>
>  I'm only using them for Backup MX (and domain registration) but so far I
>  can pick all three.  Certainly paying $5/mo to them is better than any
>  deal Comcast is going to give you.

Thanks Bill. I've been looking into Dyndns for a significant portion of the day.
I already have my dynamic IP service with them and I have used them for MX
backup before as well.

I would have already gone with them except I can't figure out if I will
be able to configure sendmail correctly to work with their system.
(I'm surmising they require SMTP-AUTH which I know nothing about
despite having used sendmail for years.  I'm running CentOS 4.5)

If I could be sure I could get it to work, I would just go ahead and sign up
but the email response I got from them was to point at the fragmentary doc
they have in their support area that I've had already been through.

I suspect its easier than it feels at this point, but I'm feeling pretty
wobbly about it all right now, and I have 450 soccer kids waiting
for schedules to arrive in the coaches inboxes which I suspect adds to
my anxiety.  :-}

Jeff.