Converting mailboxes from mbox to maildir.

Scott Garman sgarman at zenlinux.com
Fri May 2 13:53:51 EDT 2008

Since the subject of IMAP servers has come up, I thought I'd ask about
something I really need to get around to soon. I have issues with mbox
corruption about 1-2 times per year, and still haven't made the switch
to Maildir. I'd like to do it before I get an urgent crisis again. :)

I'm using dovecot as my IMAP/POP server. Does anyone know if it's
possible for it to work with both mbox and Maildir at the same time so I
can convert my users' mailboxes one user account at a time? From my
research so far I'm under the impression that I can configure doevcot to
use either mbox or Maildir for all user accounts, but not both.

War stories and other advice on migrating from mbox to Maildir are welcome.

Thanks,

Scott