Computer repair shop

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sun May 4 21:37:25 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 6:10 PM, David Hardy <belovedbold357 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have custody of an HP ze4200 laptop ...

  Apparently, "ze4200" is a "Product Name", which doesn't actually
tell us anything useful.  The more specific "Model Number" is needed
to actually identify the hardware you have.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00033108&lc=en&cc=us

> I scraped the hard drive ... completely in anticipation that she'd want the Windows os
> back.

  Please explain what you mean by "scraped the hard drive".

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 7:26 PM, David Hardy <belovedbold357 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ubuntu 7.10 and hit the "Install" button.

  There are two methods for doing an Ubuntu install.  One is by
booting from a "live CD", which actually starts a running, working
system.  You can then run the installer from that, or just use it
without installing to the hard drive.  The other method is by booting
the "alternate CD", which starts a much simpler environment that can
only be used to run a non-GUI installer.  The alternate method
sometimes works when the live CD fails.

  From your description, it doesn't sound you like you had an
alternate CD, but two live CD's.  It may be the two live CDs were
identical, or perhaps only differered in architecture ("32-bit i386"
vs "64-bit AMD64" is currently a common confusion).

  If these are "burned" CD-R/CD-RW discs, you may also want to run a
media check.  That should be an option on the boot menu you get when
it first loads from the CD (before Linux even starts, technically
speaking).  The media check makes sure the disc can be read in your
drive, and read as it should -- this is a surprisingly common problem
with "burned" discs.

> I can do it again and report more exactly on what came up, but basically nada.
> Two folder icons and no ability to do anything at all.

  It really will help quite a bit if we can get specifics.  "Nothing
useful" is all us humans care about, but it is woefully vague for the
computer.  Describe all the elements of what appears on the screen,
including any text labels or messages.  Describe any associated
behavior, especially that which results from keyboard/mouse inputs.

  If you prefer, you can also bring the laptop and install disc to one
of the regular meatspace meetings which occur around the state on a
monthly basis.  There are usually a few experienced members in
attendance who can assist with stubborn hardware.

  You can review the general schedule here:

http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/bin/view/Www/OurChapters

... and see the specific planned topics here:

http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/bin/view/Www/UpcomingEvents

-- Ben