Spam-Filter-Free Options (Was: Computer repair shop)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue May 6 15:07:17 EDT 2008

On May 6, 2008, at 18:35, VirginSnow at vfemail.net wrote:

> Until we can write programs capable of passing the Turing
> test, spam filters are destined to either (or both of):
>
>  (1) Let spam through, and/or
>  (2) Block legitimate mail.
>
> The most accurate way of filtering spam is with that little key on the
> keyboard labeled "Delete".

I'm blocking about 13,000 spams destined for my personal mailbox on a
daily basis.  I actually need to deal with 80-120 a day (some smarter
procmail rules could cut that in half, I bet).

Assuming I could process one spam per second, the 'delete key' method
would cost me 3.6 hours per day.  My head would explode first.

Rich people hire staff to filter their mail.  I can't afford that.  I
wish I had a good AI to process my mail, but until then, I'll take
the good over the absent perfect, and bump up DKIM on my TODO list.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/