computer repair

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Tue May 6 17:02:34 EDT 2008

I recently volunteered to troubleshoot a neighbor's laptop
and found it to be quite the monkey-puzzle - after removing
as many screws as I could find I could only get the various
subassemblies to wiggle slightly WRT each other but couldn't
convince myself that any of them could be separated without
damaging them.  So I was pleasantly surprised to find a how-to
video on YouTube detailing *exactly* which pieces needed to
be pried apart in entirely non-obvious ways in order to reveal
the innards.  BTW it was a Gateway and it turned out that all
it needed was a $3 CMOS battery but he'd been quoted almost
$200 for the job...