Anti-spam methods (was: Spam-Filter-Free Options)

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Wed May 7 12:03:50 EDT 2008

On Tuesday, May 6th 2008 at 15:20 -0000, quoth Ben Scott:

=>On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
=>> ... DKIM ...
=>
=>  DKIM won't stop spam.  DKIM may make it easier to identify mail
=>which came from senders you want to receive mail from.  There's a
=>difference.  DKIM won't help if you want to receive unsolicited mail,
=>or if you want to receive mail from systems which also tend to be spam
=>sources (like the big web mail providers).
=>
=>  Anyone here using Maia Mailguard (http://www.maiamailguard.com/)?
=>It purports to be a front-end mail filter with user-friendly web GUI
=>and per-user capabilities.  I haven't had a chance to try it out
=>though, despite wanting to for about two years now.  If it works, I'd
=>love to stick it in front of our Exchange server at work.

I think I'm running one of the best solutions available: sendmail +
spamass-milter + spamassassin.

My sendmail config has a few tweaks to pick off the low hanging fruit.
Then spamassassin does a great job at getting the rest.
Spamass-milter allows me to run spamassassin on the message while it's
incoming and to reject it before reception even completes. That way the
badguy knows I rejected him.

You can see the rejected mail from my server:
http://steveo.syslang.net/

Go down to where it says
"Here's something fun. A list of lists of rejected spammers."

I wrote a cool tool in python to walk the maillog and show a list of all
the From addrs of the rejected. :-)

On a daily basis, maybe about 4 will get through. Those then go off to
spamcop and get added to the Bayes database.

steveo at syslang.net