Anti-backscatter methods (was: Anti-spam methods)

Chip Marshall chip at 2bithacker.net
Wed May 7 15:30:36 EDT 2008

On May 07, 2008, Mark E. Mallett sent me the following:
> I had to look just to see if any addresses were there that are
> involved in a bit of backscatter we are having.

I was recently hit with a round of backscatter on one of my older e-mail
addresses that still forwards. I decided it was a good time to try out
Bounce Address Tag Validation using batv-proxy.pl for Postfix.

So far it's been working very well, though I'm not sure it's an
appropriate solution for larger sites.

The main problem is that all valid outgoing e-mail for your domain has
to go out through a relay that you control, in order to have the
appropriate BATV tags placed in the sender address.

--
Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net>
http://weblog.2bithacker.net/                        PGP key ID 43C4819E