Report from CentraLUG, 5-May-2008, Ben Scott: The Linux Server That Could...

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Wed May 7 19:40:28 EDT 2008

Nineteen people made May 5th's CentraLUG meeting the second best
attended of any LUG meeting so far this year, and the most populous
CentraLUG meeting in over two years!

The meeting starting with a rag-tag band of Linux enthusiasts wandering
around the campus looking for a room to meet. It's finals week at NHTI
and we'd been bumped from our regular spot. From the Library to the
Crocker building to the Little Building we moved as more and more and
more attendees arrived and we outgrew our first and second choices of
rooms. Thanks to all for patience and multiple moves, and apologies for
any folks we lost along the way.

The hassle was worthwhile, as Ben put on a great presentation on "The
Linux Server That Could: Setting up a Small Office Server." Over the
years, both as part of his work and his hobbies, Ben has set up many
multi-purpose computer servers: a single machine to serve a small
workgroup with mail, files, printing, centralized DNS, DHCP. Ben had
some slides to introduce the concepts and frame the problems his scripts
solves, and then he dove into how to set up and configure the services.
Providing a running commentary while he showed us configuration files,
he offered a number of Best Practices tips for configuring, naming your
intranet 'domain,' how CentOS/Red Hat family distros work, the
differences in different flavors of Linux distros, editing configuration
files, viewing error logs and more. It was a content-filled hour!

Slides and sample scripts and configuration files can be found on the
GNHLUG web site at:

http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/bin/view/Www/SmallOfficeServer

Thanks to Ben for a great presentation, to Bruce Dawson for last-minute
projector duty, to Bill Sconce for helping with the raffle, to the NHTI
staff for helping us find facilities, and to all who attended and
participated!

--

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC