Palm vs other smart phones/PDAs

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Fri May 9 09:45:36 EDT 2008

On Friday 09 May 2008 09:07, Tom Buskey wrote:
> IMO, the original Palm UI and apps still hold up very well.  I've been
> using Palm with Unix since I got a Pilot 1000.  I have a Blackberry for
> work and my wife uses an iPhone.

That is true - I've been using Palms for nearly a decade now and whenever I've
watched someone use a Windows Mobile, Blackberry, or an iPhone, I've only
ever wondered how they can get anything done on such crowded screens with
such obtrusive interfaces.

I have nothing against the Palm software platform, but the hardware and driver
support is lacking lately.  Bluetooth is very hit-or-miss with my Treo 650.
The Bluetooth modem has stopped working altogether and headsets can become
unpaired and nearly impossible to re-pair simply by running out of battery.
There's no voice dialing and I think wifi would be very helpful.  This all
amounts to little more than annoying, and I still look at my wife trying to
do anything useful with her Windows Mobile phone and realize it's all very
minor in comparison at least.

If I can get my hands on an OpenMoko and decide that I don't like the
calendaring or address book in it, I could just run the PalmOS emulator I
suppose.  But at least I'll have the hardware that will do whatever I want.
I really hope they pull it off - they've been so close for so long, it seems.
-N