Thoughts on the OpenMoko Project?

Chip Marshall chip at 2bithacker.net
Fri May 9 11:07:56 EDT 2008

On May 09, 2008, Neil Joseph Schelly sent me the following:
> Isn't Android just a software platform though? Maybe I've misread. The
> interesting thing about OpenMoko is the hardware. The software ought
> to be reasonably capable, but I can imagine buying an OpenMoko and
> trying both out at some point.

As I understand it, OpenMoko is also a software platform, which is
currently runs on the FIC Neo handset. Not sure if they plan to make it
generic in the future or not, but it's certainly easier to write
software when you know what the hardware is.

One would hope they interoperate in the future.

There's also Trolltech's Qtopia phone stuff. I seem to recall they
stopped trying to sell hardware for it, but I think the software portion
is still alive.

It looks like the great open source tradition of everyone implementing
their own wheels is alive and well in the wireless phone space. :D

--
Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net>
http://weblog.2bithacker.net/                        PGP key ID 43C4819E