RHEL Kernel Versions

Kenny Lussier klussier at gmail.com
Tue May 13 20:33:08 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com>
wrote:

> On May 13, 2008, at 17:42, Kenny Lussier wrote:
>
>   Is there any way to tell what the
> > kernel patch level is and what the patches are in the RH kernels?
> >

> If the changelog isn't enough, get the SRPM (yumdownloader --source works
> sometimes) and look at the SPECS/kernel.spec file for a full list of
> patches.
>
> Yes, the kernel is that old, RHEL is for 5-year stability, not tracking
> current work (with the occasional backported exceptions).  Fedora gets you
> the current stuff, but you're bound to be upgrading every year.
>
> -Bill

I think that this is why I've always used kernel.org kernels in the past.
When someone comes to me and says "I need kernel x.y.z because it has
<insert feature or performance enhancement here>", I can get that kernel for
them. With RHEL, you eliminate support when you put in a kernel that isn't
one of theirs. I guess I'll start pouring through the changelogs......

Thanks,
Kenny