Sweet new TV encoder (was: Alternatives to Comcast)

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed May 21 12:59:20 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 12:28 -0400, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On May 20, 2008, at 21:50, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
> > It takes in high definition component (ypbpr) video and encodes it in
> > real-time to h.264, the spits it out via USB2 to your computer. In
> > other
> > words, it completely bypasses any and all drm via the analog hole.
> > Might
> > lose a bit of quality going from digital mpeg2 to analog to digital
> > h.264, but hey, not too shabby...
>
> Wow, this is so fantastic, it's exactly the bit of hardware I've been
> dreaming of (OK, ethernet would be better, but I can live with USB2)
> since it'll handle SD and HD.
>
> Thanks for sharing - does it look like it'll be smooth to add to
> MythTV?

Yes, we've got one into the hands of one of the MythTV devs who did the
bulk of integration work for atsc in the first place, then iptv, the
hdhomerun, etc. So its not quite working yet, but stay tuned, it'll
probably be just an upgrade to 0.21.1 to get HD-PVR support. Not sure on
exact ETA for it though.

> I sadly have a great-looking DVR running MythTV and a
> PVR-150 that won't work with the I2C controller on either of the
> motherboards (Asus, Intel) I've bought for the project. :(  Outboard
> solves the PC-(almost-a)-standard issues.

D'oh.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com