kded & artsd

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Thu May 22 08:08:19 EDT 2008

On Thursday 22 May 2008 07:11, Brian Chabot wrote:
> I've been seeing odd behaviour...
>
> When idle (or mostly idle) for long periods, I get an occasional
> message popping up telling me that artsdaemon is being killed off
> because of CPU overload...

    I had a similar problem and one of 2 things got rid of it:

1) I switched the Control Center-> Sound & Multimedia-> Sound System->
Hardware->Audio Device from Auto Detect to Open Sound System.

2) My SuSE 9.3 system had been installed via the "upgrade" option.  A
clean new copy solved a lot of small problems (but incurred a lot of
extra hours getting things reset.)

    Someone with more savvy might give reasons why these changes worked.

My system:
   Linux 2.6.11.4-21.17-smp
   KDE 3.4.0 Level "b"
   SuSE 9.3